Mother Tongue Language
Mr Yeo Wee Kiang (HOD, Mother Tongue Language)
|Mdm Toh Li Hiong (School Staff Developer)|
|Ms Loh Sock Yee (Senior Teacher, Chinese Language)|
|Mdm Nor Hayati Bte Salimik (Senior Teacher, Malay Language)|
|Mrs Thanaletchimi Ganeson (Senior Teacher, Tamil Language)|
- To make Mother Tongue a “living” language.
- To develop a lifelong interest in Mother Tongue language (MTL) and its culture.
- To inculcate cross-cultural understanding among the students of the different races.
- Customises teaching and learning of MTL according to Concordians’ language mastery level.
- Adopts progressive and age-appropriate strategies for listening, oracy and language skills.
- Values are constantly reinforced during MTL lessons as part of holistic education. Teachers seize teachable moments and actively link content with school core values for character development. Festive celebrations are also an authentic source for value education (eg respect for the elderly when visiting during the new year etc).
- It takes a village to raise a child. Our Concord village is blessed with supportive parents who acknowledge the importance of MTL learning and value education. Teachers partner parents through regular communications and updates to impart values in Concordians.
Conversational Chinese & Malay (CCM)
- CCM programme is introduced to provide Concordians with an opportunity to learn and use another MT language, other than their own Mother Tongue language, to communicate and interact more with their schoolmates of different races.
- Learning another MT language for conversational purposes will help to nurture interaction among the ethnic communities and friendships between students, across races and religions.
Mother Tongue Fortnight (MTF)
- A two-week programme to encourage Concordians to use their Mother Tongue languages more pervasively.
- Wide-range of beyond-classroom activities is conducted in conjunction with MTF to provide authentic situations for Concordians to appreciate their mother tongue languages.
Internal & External Competitions
- Competitions are held to encourage and motivate Concordians to channel their energies towards meaningful learning processes and outcomes, while showcasing what they have learnt in class.
- Aside from school-initiated programme, the department create opportunities for Concordians to participate in external competitions to provide authentic application of their language learning, stretch their language abilities, and build up their self-confidence and repertoire of experiences to face life challenges.
For tips on “How to support your children in the learning of Mother Tongue Languages”, please click here.
For the “List of approved dictionaries”, please click here.
CL Story Telling activity conducted as part of Mother Tongue Fortnight programme
Concordians engaged in community singing during CNY celebration
Concordians sharing the meanings of Chinese New Year food
| ML students prepared healthy sandwiches for snack time |
|Origami making (animal) for ML storytelling activity||Batik painting activity conducted for ML students|
TL Reading Activity – Clay Making